Five Ways to Improve Workplace Morale
Business owners and managers have so much stuff on their plates that it can be difficult to keep a pulse on workplace morale. An everyday job can take its toll on employees, even people who enjoy their jobs. This is why it is important for management to be proactive in creating ways to improve workplace morale. To help you get started, here are a few simple ways to increase the positivity around the office.
1. Show Results to Employees: Oftentimes, employees work “in their own lane” and rarely get to see the fruits of their labors. This doesn’t only add to their perception of workplace drudgery, but it also misses an opportunity for them to see what is working and what isn’t. Take available opportunities to show successes to employees and allow them to celebrate their hard work.
2. Gather Feedback: Your employees probably have a lot of great ideas that you will never hear about if you don’t ask. Get a suggestion box or use an online survey tool to gather information from your employees. You may have to sort through a few jokes and complaints, but it will be worth it. Your employees will also feel good knowing their input is appreciated.
3. Provide Training: Without some sort of training, it becomes very difficult for your employees to learn and grow. Develop your own training program or sign up for a local workshop to give your employees a chance to learn new skills, meet new people, and take a break from their daily grind.
4. Personalized Perks: Anyone can give out a monetary bonus (and no employee will complain about receiving one), but why settle for this as the only type of reward? Take some time to learn about individual employees and create personalized perks that relate to their personalities. Get an employee a ticket to watch their favorite sports team, a reservation at their favorite restaurant, or an addition to something they collect. The possibilities are endless.
5. Have Fun: There are numerous activities that you can plan to allow your employees to have a good time while they are on the clock. Put together a potluck meal, take everyone bowling, or have a movie showing in your conference room. Even the simplest things will give your employees something to look forward to and something to talk about for months.